A prewash is a first wash prior to the main wash. It gets rid of all the soiling so that nappies are not being washed in dirty water. Prewash within 1-2 days. After prewashing, store nappies in a clean drypail until the mainwash day.
- Short cycle from 30 - 60 mins
- Temp 40° to 60°
- Prewash every 1-2 days
- Prewash everyday if using night nappies
- Store prewashed nappies in dry pail to wait for main wash (no need to dry)
Mainwash - second wash for efficient cleaning
The mainwash is a long wash with all the prewashed nappies from the previous 2-3 days*. This is where the actual cleaning happens.
- Choose a long cycle with good agitation such as Cotton for approx. 2.5 - 3.5 hrs
- Temp 40° - 60°
- Use the full recommended dose of detergent
- Make sure the machine is fully loaded (3/4 full when wet)
- Add other laundry items no larger than a hand towel if not full enough
* You can choose to prewash and mainwash back-to-back or prewash everyday for 2-3 days then mainwash. If you are using night nappies we recommend prewashing everyday.
- Line dry in shade
- Inserts can be tumble dried on LOW to MED
Your nappies are now ready to be used again!
- If using plant based detergent consider using 1.5 - 2x the recommended dose
- Wool Covers need a different wash routine see here
- No bleach or softeners
- No soaking or wetpailing
- No vinegar or baking soda
- Don't stretch or pull elastics when warm
- Tumble dry on Low
- Line dry PUL items in shade
It is important to note that manufacturers recommendations can vary greatly and must be considered if you would like to be covered by the guarantee.
Clean Cloth Nappies
We support the CCNDU washing recommendations. For more information see www.cleanclothnappies.com